The wonders of Spina necropolis
In the 16 rooms on the main floor of Palazzo Costabili are displayed the most precious masterpieces from the rich tombs of Spina necropolis, the true witnesses of life and death in this important Etruscan centre on the Adriatic.
The stories of Spina inhabitants emerge from the soil
Since October 2011 the frescoed rooms of the ground floor house the finds coming from the digs in the town of Spina, which tell us about everyday life in this area, 2500 years ago.
The monoxylous canoes from Valle Isola
Emerged from the soil during the 40s of last century, le canoes from Valle Isola, for their extraordinary state of conservation and the building technique, offer the visitor a vivid look on lagoon navigation in the ancient times
Palazzo Costabili: a treasure trove
The MANFe offers a unique archaeological heritage, set in one of the most prestigious buildings of Estense Renaissance, an artistic and architectural context of incomparable beauty
Spina is the principal port in northern Adriatic Sea, between late Archaic and Hellenistic period, and one of the cornerstones of Etruscan presence in northern Italy.
Even though it bears the name of Ludovico Maria Sforza, called Il Moro, duke of Milan, the Palazzo was actually commissioned by Antonio Costabili...
The quest for ancient Spina in the swamps of the Po river was a real archaeological detective story...
Past and upcoming events at the mueum.
The Museum is fully accessible to people with disabilities
Even though it bears the name of Ludovico Maria Sforza, called Il Moro, duke of Milan from 1494-1499, the Palazzo was actually commissioned by Antonio Costabili, an important nobleman of the court of duke Ercole I d'Este, secretary and Ambassador for the Este in Milan. The building was projected by Biagio Rossetti , the most distinguished ferrarese architect of the Renaissance, to whom the duke Ercole in 1492 entrusted the grand plan of urbanistic reorganization of the city, the so called "Herculean Addition“. The realisation of the project involved many prominent stonemasons and painters, but the building remained unfinished. A complex restoration to the structure, its decoration, and the gardens, completed in 2010, had the purpose of bringing back its original splendor, and making it completely accessible to the public.
Tuesday-Sunday 9:30-17:00. The ticket office closes 16:30.Closed on Mondays; closed on 1 January, 1 May, 25 December.
Adult single € 6Concession (EU visitors aged 18-25) € 3Free for visitors under 18, EU archaeology/art/architecture students, visitors with disabilities, press
Conference hall. Lift. Groups are requested to reserve the entrance at the Call Centre: +39 0532 244949
+39 0532 66299
+39 0532 741270 (fax)